Students discuss ‘shooting your shot’: dating in the past versus now

In light of Valentine’s Day, Seton Hall students shared their opinions on the major differences they have seen in present dating culture versus the past.

Olamilekan Olorode, a sophomore nursing major, said he believes the main difference between dating in his parents’ time versus now is the use of dating apps.

“In my parents’ time, dating apps had not appeared yet and technology was not as advanced as it is now,” Olorode said. “You could not just go on an app and find someone that you liked. You actually had to meet the person face to face.”

He added that he was also wary of the safety of dating apps. “I think that dating apps are fine,” he said. “But you have to be careful because anyone can post a picture that is not really who they are.

Holding-Hands-via-PIxabay-1024x683
Photo via Pixabay

“They can trick you into thinking they are a different person,” he continued. “Apart from that, I have no problem with dating apps.”

Though concerned about the authenticity of the individuals on the app, Olorode said he thinks dating is better now because it gives more opportunities to meet people. In this way, Olorode said people are not limited in the ways they can connect with others.

On the other hand, Ishani Sachdeva, a sophomore economics major, held a different view. “Dating nowadays has become so plastic and materialistic,” Sachdeva said. “As we are opening ourselves to a globalized world, more and more people are hiding behind their phones to avoid some real communication.”

Selam Woldegerima, a sophomore physics major, said she favors the way dating was back then.

“Definitely, back then dating was much better,” she claimed. “Although there is more freedom to date nowadays, it has become more like a game where you date multiple people at the same time. Back in the day, to be able to date a girl you had to earn it by showing her how good he is for her. A guy doesn’t just come up to her and ask for her number."

“Friendship has to precede dating,” Woldegerima continued. “That friendship then develops to a date eventually. This is actually good because the couple will have known each other very well before any romantic relationship starts.”

Woldegerima said that in the old times, the parents had the power over the whole dating process. If they didn’t approve, then the potential couple would not be allowed to see each other again.

She shared the love story of a close family-like friend who met someone naturally in person. She described how a college student in New York had seen a girl walking down the street from the balcony of his friend’s apartment and jokingly said, “I’m going to marry this girl one day.”

Woldegerima said it turned out that the student’s friend knew the girl well, so they had later talked and connected.

“The fact that she is Muslim and that he is Christian was an obstacle in their relationship, but their love was strong, so they got married, just like he predicted,” she said. “Now they have three kids together.”

Kristel Domingo can be reached at kristel.domingo@student.shu.edu.