We need a moderate candidate to run

We’re past the midterms, we’re past the shutdown (for now), and as of Jan. 20, we’re officially halfway done with Donald Trump’s presidency. We all know what this means: campaign announcement season!

Voice
Photo via Flickr

Over the past few weeks, politicians across the United States have announced campaigns. These presidential hopefuls include: California senator Kamala Harris, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro, Hawaii representative Tulsi Gabbard, former Maryland representative John Delaney, New York senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren and South Bend, Indiana mayor Pete Buttigieg.

This list doesn’t even include former vice president Joe Biden, former Texas representative Beto O’Rourke, and New Jersey senator Cory Booker, who are all expected to announce campaigns in the near future. Even Howard Schultz, the former CEO of Starbucks, announced on Monday that he is “seriously considering” running for president.

President Trump is also expected to run. While it is uplifting that so many Democrats are ready and willing to challenge Trump for the next presidency, we have to remember that if every Democrat – particularly young, more liberal leaning ones – runs for president, it will divide the party and we’ll be stuck with another four years of Donald Trump’s grammatically incorrect tweets.

We have to remember why President Trump won. While there is no doubt that racism, sexism and a myriad of other “isms” played an especially large role, much of President Trump’s victory had to do with alienating blue-collar individuals in the middle of the country and more conservative Americans. They felt they weren’t being represented, and for whatever reason, thought Donald Trump – a billionaire – was the answer to that problem.

The key to ousting President Trump is to find a moderate politician. In 2020, Americans need a candidate willing to play to both sides of American culture. They need to possess the ability to appeal to all Americans. We fear though, that if things keep going as they are now, we might be in for another messy four years.

The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief.