Twins share their college journey together

Two sets of twins at Seton Hall weighed in on their unique experiences in college together, and apart.

When asked about being a twin, Teresa Saverimuttu, a sophomore biology and philosophy major, said, “It’s a good time. I enjoy it, for the most part.”

Teresa and her sister Antonella, a sophomore biology and philosophy major, share similar interests. Aside from having the same majors, they said they both behold a similar interest in music, as Teresa plays the violin, and Antonella the piano.

Saverimuttu-Twins-Kiera-Alexander-1-1024x683
Teresa (left) and Antonella (right) Saverimuttu at the Pirate's Cove. Kiera Alexander/Asst. Photography Editor

In addition, they are both in the Global Medical Brigades and share the same friend group.

“We didn’t really want to go to the same college just because we thought we wouldn’t be able to have our own experiences, but our parents really wanted us to go to the same place,” Teresa said. “But I feel like having her here was helpful at times, and sometimes hard. If she wasn’t making friends and I was making friends, I’d feel bad if she was just in her room, and I was out. And she felt bad if I was failing my classes, and she was doing well.”

Antonella supported Teresa’s statement. She said that Teresa is the extroverted one who is good with people, while she is more introverted and good with books.

In terms of finding oneself, being a twin has offered some hardships, especially with the sense of individuality.

“Sometimes it’s annoying if you’re talking to someone, and they don’t know which one you are, and you know that they don’t know,” Teresa said. “I think it’s difficult especially since we have the same major and similar interests. You’re never just yourself, but it can be a good thing. We’re always memorable. Everybody remembers the twins. And even that, everyone calls us the twins, and not our names.”

Antonella said she doesn’t think her individuality is compromised. “Our friends don’t see us as a unit; they know us for our different personalities,” she said. “Being recognized individually among our friends has never been an issue.

“If I had been by myself, maybe I would’ve been different,” Antonella continued. “But either way, I think you’re supposed to be where you’re supposed to be, and that’s the way that things works out. And I think I’m who I supposed to be right now.”

Teresa said that to her, being a twin is part of how she defines herself.
Alyssa Kajian, a sophomore political science and philosophy major, has a twin that goes to a different university. Her sister, Sarah, is a sophomore undeclared major at Montclair State University.

KajianTwins-1024x576
Alyssa (right) and Sarah Kajian (left). Photo courtesy of Alyssa Kajian.

“I really do prefer the separation,” Kajian said. “It allows for a lot more expansion of oneself to be away from such an important and integral person in your life such as your twin.

“I feel like being a twin forces you to ‘find yourself’ more quickly than average,” Kajian said. “There is a need to feel separate and unique as a person that occurs earlier in childhood for people who are twins.”

Kajian said that there are key differences evident in herself and her sister.

“As far as me and my sister go, we looked for different interests and unique qualities starting in middle school, which is usually a time kids spend trying to fit in.

“College has provided a new tool for both of us to expand our interests, worldviews, knowledge, and uniqueness,” Kajian continued. “We have been able to find separate friends and create lives entirely separate from one another.

“It has allowed more room, at least in my perspective, for me to focus on myself and my personal interests, without comparing them to someone else or forcing them to be different from someone else.”

Kristel Domingo can be reached at kristel.domingo@student.shu.edu.