Football fans get a kick out of Super Bowl traditions

When the New England Patriots running back Rex Burkhead charged into the end zone on the game-clinching touchdown two weeks ago, it simultaneously sent the Chiefs to the golf course for the winter and the Patriots to Atlanta for a date in the Super Bowl with the Los Angeles Rams.

Super_Bowl-via-Wikimedia-Commons-1024x768

The Super Bowl, which will be held on Feb. 3 in Mercedes-Benz Stadium, will be the 53rd clash between the best teams from the NFL’s American Football Conference (AFC) and its counterpart, the National Football Conference (NFC). Seton Hall students shared their favorite Super Bowl traditions and thoughts on the teams playing this year.

For those who watch the game, whether they are a fan of the sport or not, the action is not limited to the playing field. Many students said they turn to the commercials as a source of entertainment.

Last season, when the Philadelphia Eagles defeated the New England Patriots, 41-33, NBC averaged 103.4 million viewers.

Matt Ambrose, a senior journalism major, said he is a Patriots fan who thinks the game is an opportunity to rekindle an old rivalry that he has with his father back home in New Hampshire.

“My dad is a Rams fan, so growing up he always rooted against the Patriots,” Ambrose said. “It was always entertaining to watch the Pats game together and have this little battle between us. We would always shake hands at the end of the big games.”

Many students have family traditions that go hand-in-hand with the Super Bowl. Faith Kessler, a sophomore communications major, said she looks forward to the food that her family cooks for the big game.

“My family has a tradition where we make food based on the regions that the teams are from,” Kessler said. “For example, last year my dad made Philly cheese steaks in honor of the Eagles.”

Superstitions are also another tradition for fans of the teams taking the field.

Michael Daly, a freshman visual and sound media major, said he has his own superstitions that he takes very seriously while his favorite team, the Rams, are playing.

“I have a Rams blanket that I like to lay on during games,” Daly said. “I also have Rams jerseys that I like to wear as well, that are just good luck charms.”

Kessler said she is most looking forward to the halftime performances, where Maroon 5 and Travis Scott will be performing. “My favorite part [of the Super Bowl] is the halftime performance because it’s funny to see the reactions online,” Ambrose said.

As for the results of the game, all three students are under the impression that the Patriots will come away with the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

“Patriots 31, Rams 27,” predicted Ambrose. “Brady is the greatest of all time.”

Dalton Allison can be reached at dalton.allison@student.shu.edu.