Asst. director tackles new position

Daria Peace-Allen began her first days of work at Seton Hall last week after taking over the open position of Assistant Director of Leadership and Development.

DSC_0749-1024x684
Sarah Yenesel/ Photography Editor

Allen will take over the position left behind by Chineze Madueke, who left last Fall.

Colleen Dallavale, the Assistant Director of Leadership Development’s supervisor who led the search for the vacant position, had nothing but positive things to say when it came to the impact Allen will have in her new role.

“Whenever you open a search for any position, it’s important to look at the applicant pool and assess what the department, University, and student needs are,” Dallavale said. “I am excited to see the direction our office will continue to take and am grateful to have the opportunity to work with professionals who value our students and the student experience at SHU. I have high hopes for the upcoming year!”

As an undergraduate student, Allen was a Marketing and Accounting major, but after getting involved with student organizations and working in different capacities, she was led to her current career path.

“When I graduated with a degree in Finance and began to work at a local bank, I realized that I missed connecting in that way [student activities],” Allen said. “I very quickly jumped at an opportunity to work at a local community college. I soon found that was a lot more fulfilling for me.”

For the last six years, Daria ‘Peace’ Allen was an Engagement Coordinator for Programming and Creative Arts at St. Peter’s University, a smaller private institution that is also religiously affiliated. Like Seton Hall’s student council, Allen worked on the class council board--a student council created for each respective graduating class.

In her role at Seton Hall, Allen’s typical workday will feature similar tasks while being more diverse. She will primarily serve as the advisor for the Multicultural Advisory Committee, assist student organizations in their programming functions, advise them and provide them with leadership opportunities, to take both themselves and the organization itself to the next level.

“In talking with my supervisor, the job description and with some conversations I had here, my role here will be a lot more focused on diversity work – which I am extremely excited about,” Allen said. “Seton Hall is much larger than my previous institution, almost double. So, I am really looking to grow my capacity while I am here and use it as a learning opportunity to take in as much I can.”

Evando Thompson can be reached at evando.thompson@student.shu.edu