Indoor activities: how to “chill” this winter season

As temperatures continue to drop, Seton Hall students weigh in on their favorite indoor activities during the cold winter season that don’t break the bank.

Movie-Theater-via-Wikimedia-Commons-1024x680
Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Kick back: movies and chill

The Bow Tie theater in South Orange offers a special discount for anyone with a Seton Hall ID. Students can take advantage of the deal and relax some place warm and affordable for a couple hours this winter. One frequent movie goer is Amber Puig, a senior broadcasting and visual media major on the film track.

“Although I can go for a good movie any day, I really love going to the movies in the winter because it lets me escape from the tundra outside,” Puig said.

skyzone-via-Wikimedia-Commons-1024x683
Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Jump in indoor trampoline, SkyZone

Skyzone is an indoor trampoline park filled with various recreational obstacle courses intended for all ages. Skyzone also offers student discounts. “I have the best time whenever I go,” Emily Braverman, a senior education major, said. “They have a dodgeball court, foam pit and basketball hoop area so it’s hard to get bored.” With locations all around New Jersey, some students say it’s an easy trip for all with cabin fever who are ready for a good time.

Aquarium-via-Wikimedia-Commons-1024x683
Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Dive into some aquariums

One of the great things about Seton Hall is its close proximity to New York City. One of the many attractions it has to offer is the New York Aquarium in Brooklyn. “I’m a big fish guy,” Matthew Smolen, a senior biology major, said. “I could spend all day at the aquarium. I’d have to say the seal exhibit has always been my favorite because they look like they’re always having a great time with each other.” If a student is looking to save a buck, they can head over to the aquarium on Wednesdays after three for free admission.

A missing piece to this winter is a puzzle

A classic pastime has always been a good puzzle, according to Olivia Martino, a senior communications major. “I just got back into them a couple months ago, and I’ve been hooked,” Martino said. “There’s nothing like the satisfaction of completing a section you’ve been stuck on for days.” Sold at the dollar store, a puzzle is a way to pass the time this winter on a budget.

Baking-via-Wikimedia-Commons-1024x685
Photo via Wikimedia Commons

All a student “kneads” is baking

Another great way to have fun, while staying warm this winter is by tackling all those baking recipes that people have had bookmarked for months. A student can whip up something toasty and delicious before settling into his or her Netflix marathon for the night. “I love trying out a new recipe. It’s a perfect way to keep yourself entertained and well fed without having to go out in the cold,” Martino said. “My favorite thing to make has always been the classic Jiffy corn muffins.”

Eilish Montgomery can be reached at eilish.montgomery@student.shu.edu.