We need stricter gun laws to stop gun violence

Gun violence needs to stop. This past weekend, there was another tragic mass shooting. Eleven people were killed and six others were injured when gunman Robert Bowers opened fire at a synagogue in Pittsburgh on Saturday, Oct. 27, according to an Oct. 29 CBS News article. This attack is the latest in a long list of mass shootings in 2018. [caption id="attachment_23469" align="aligncenter" width="508"] Photo obtained from google.com.[/caption] Saturday’s mass shooting at the synagogue was the 294th mass shooting in the U.S. this year, according to an Oct. 27 ABC 15 Arizona article that cited the Gun Violence Archive. Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation that provides information about gun-related violence in the U.S., according to GVA’s website. GVA defines a mass shooting as four or more people being shot and/or killed in a single incident. As of Oct. 31, there have been 299 mass shooting incidents in the U.S., GVA said. The site also said there were 346 mass shootings in 2017. These statistics are sickening. Something needs to be done to prevent further shootings. Many innocent lives were lost to gun violence this year. In February, there was the Parkland school shooting. Each year, we see more and more gun violence. Politicians and others offer their thoughts and prayers to the victims and those affected by these tragedies. While it’s a good thing to keep those affected in our prayers, something more needs to be done. We owe it to those who lost their lives in these shootings to do our part to prevent more incidents. It can’t just be empty words and promises. Action needs to be taken. America needs stricter gun laws and stricter screening processes. Full background checks should be done on those trying to obtain a gun permit. Citizens shouldn’t have access to assault, military grade weapons either. Citizens have no need for those types of firearms. Gun control may not prevent all shootings, but something has to be done because society is becoming more accustomed and desensitized to these shootings, which isn’t a good thing. More steps need to be taken to protect citizens from further gun violence and shootings. The government needs to pass stricter gun laws and regulations. The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.