Donate to Hurricane Michael and Florence victims

Hurricane Michael recently struck the East Coast, battering Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia. The latest natural disaster comes on the heels of Hurricane Florence, which battered the southeast last month. Both hurricanes left a a death toll in their wake. CNN reported on Oct. 16 that Hurricane Michael’s death toll had reached 29. Many people are still missing, too. [caption id="attachment_23693" align="aligncenter" width="508"] Photo obtained from google.com.[/caption] In the aftermath of these disasters, it’s crucial that those affected know we stand with them and support them. Here in New Jersey, we know what it’s like to weather a storm. We had to rebuild after Hurricane Sandy hit us in 2012 and we’re still doing so. We received support from all around the world and it’s time for us to pay it forward. Giving back and helping those in need is what matters. The Setonian previously reported on Oct. 3 about how in the wake of Hurricane Florence, Seton Hall started a “Go Blue for Hurricane Relief” program to help hurricane victims. According to Seton Hall’s website, “Every donation will go directly to Catholic Charities to alleviate misery and suffering caused by this unforgiving hurricane season.” This initiative can still be found on Seton Hall’s website and it is not too late to donate. These hurricane victims have lost everything; many are without electricity and some lost their homes. There are numerous charities you can assist to help support relief efforts. Confirm each organization’s credibility before donating, since there are scams out there. An Oct. 12 Time article says that people can use the website Charity Navigator, which is a charity assessment organization that evaluates U.S. charitable organizations. The website lists names of reputable charities. According to Time, some of those charities include the American Red Cross, World Hope International and International Relief Teams. Please donate what you can to charities to help support this relief effort. Do what you can to help these hurricane victims. The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.