Pirates blanked by Red Storm

The Seton Hall women’s soccer fell, 2-0, to Saint John’s University on Saturday night. The loss marked the 10th straight game in which the Pirates failed to register a win.

Saint John’s outclassed Seton Hall in the first portion of the first half, but the Pirates bounced back in the latter half. Cassy Harrigan fired a shot that was blocked in the 33rd minute, and Eva Gonzalez attempted two shots in the 36th and 39th minutes that missed high and left, respectively.

The first half ended with both teams playing evenly. Seton Hall attempted four shots compared to Saint John’s three. Seton Hall also had three corners, while Saint John’s had one.

Renee Nunez / Staff Photographer

The Red Storm wasted no time at the start the second half as they scored 24 seconds in. The Red Storm bombarded the Pirates for the next seven minutes, forcing Anna MacLean to make three saves.

After two fouls by Harrigan, Saint John’s netted another goal in the 63rd minute.

Not much else happened for the Pirates until the 87th minute when Marissa Aniolowski headed a ball on goal that was saved by Meredith Reinhardt. Reinhardt saved two more shots by Sophia Duffy and Alyssa Reszkowski before the buzzer sounded.

The loss puts the Pirates at 2-9-4, including 0-6 in conference play.

Despite the loss, the Pirates were able to obtain plenty of chances, which head coach Rick Stainton was pleased with.

“We give ourselves a lot of opportunities we just have to finish them and capitalize on them,” Stainton said.

Seton Hall will seek its first conference win on Oct. 18 when they host Xavier University at 6:30 p.m.

Joseph Ippolito can be reached at joseph.ippolito@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @joeippy.