Pirates start season off strong against Rider

The Seton Hall men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams kicked off their seasons in stellar fashion this past Saturday against Rider University. The women’s team came out on top at its meet, defeating Rider by a final score of 170-126. Six different Pirates took home individual honors as the team won its sixth season-opener in the last seven years and stretched its winning streak against Rider to seven straight meets. The women’s squad also took home two team events in the 200-meter medley relay and 400-meter free relay. Courtney McCardle and Heidi Dickson had exceptional afternoons, claiming two events each. McCardle won the 50-meter and 100-meter freestyles with times of 24.80 and 26.10 respectively. Dickson claimed victory in the 200-meter and 500-meter freestyles with times of 1:57.22 and 5:12.71 respectively. Alongside Jordan Decker and Theresa Hutton, McCardle and Dickson also won the 400-meter relay with a combined time of 3:37.43. [caption id="attachment_24441" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The men’s team fell, 163-137, in its match, however the team broke three records at the meet. Josh Tosoni swam a 57.45 in the 100-meter breaststroke and a 2:06.21 in the 200-meter breaststroke to set two records. Dakota Williams posted a 20.88 in the 50-meter freestyle to break the previous top time. Williams also placed first in the 100-meter freestyle with a time of 46.10. Joe Gibson had an impressive showing as he claimed first place in two events. Gibson finished the 200-meter freestyle with a time of 1:44.13 and the 500-meter freestyle with a time of 4:44.18. Gibson, Williams, Ben Puglessi and Ben LaClair made up the four-man team that claimed victory in the 400-meter freestyle relay as well. Seton Hall’s next meet will be Oct. 12 at Montclair State University. Justin Sousa can be reached at justin.sousa@student.shu.edu.