Netflix offers exciting fall lineup, new and classic

As the fall season kicks in, colder temperatures could present the perfect excuse to watch the new lineup of Netflix shows and premieres. Students on campus said that they are excited to “binge-watch” some new seasons of Netflix Originals and shared recommendations on what to watch this season. [caption id="attachment_24393" align="alignnone" width="838"] Jill Cancela/Staff Photographer[/caption] This fall, Netflix will be premiering several new shows, including “The Kominsky Method,” starring Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin and “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” a revamp of “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.” In addition, other Netflix originals like “Narcos” and “Big Mouth” will return for new seasons. Chloe Magnuson, a senior political science major, said she was hooked on “The Blacklist” and recommends the show to her peers. “I’ve been watching it for years and I’m never disappointed,” Magnuson said. “It’s one of those intense shows that you’ll want to sit down and watch for days.” Magnuson added that she praises “mockumentaries” such as “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation.” She said, “They’re hysterical. I can watch any episode and my mood is instantly lifted.” Some new Netflix comedies are causing viewers to divide their time between the old and the new. The second season of “Big Mouth” is set to come out the first week of October. “It’s about time,” said Olivia Martino, a senior communications studies major. “I finished the whole first season in one day, so I’ve definitely been ready for some new episodes.” Martino said she also recommends “Ozark,” a thriller crime drama starring Jason Bateman that is in its second season. “We never usually see [Bateman] in a drama and he’s excellent,” Martino said. “I definitely recommend checking it out.” As for her other guilty binge shows, Martino said that her go-to on Netflix is “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.” Tommy Rinaldi, a senior visual and sound media major, said he applauds Netflix for originals like “Maniac,” which stars Jonah Hill and Emma Stone as strangers who take part in a mysterious pharmaceutical trial that claims to solve the problem of their psychological demons. Rinaldi said shows like this and “Atypical” are perfect entertainment for the time being as he impatiently waits for the return of “Daredevil” and “Black Mirror,” which are rumored to arrive late this year. “‘Breaking Bad’ is always going to be number one in my book,” Rinaldi said. “I’ve watched it five times.” Rinaldi said he gives Netflix credit for attempting the difficult task of trying to cover every demographic and feels that they have done a good job so far. “In my opinion, Netflix has the best collection of combined TV shows and movies in comparison to other streaming services,” he said. “And I’m excited to see what they come out with next.” Eilish Montgomery can be reached at eilish.montgomery@student.shu.edu.