SHU students “Go Blue for Hurricane Relief”

In the wake of the devastation Hurricane Florence has caused for thousands of people throughout the Carolinas, Seton Hall created a “Go Blue for Hurricane Relief” program to help hurricane victims. [caption id="attachment_24342" align="aligncenter" width="838"] File Photo[/caption] Michelle Peterson, the director of the Division of Volunteer Efforts, explained how Seton Hall decided to involve itself as a resource for people affected by the hurricane. “Immediately following Hurricane Florence, Seton Hall launched our ‘Go Blue for Hurricane Relief’ program,” Peterson write in an email. According to Seton Hall’s website, “every donation will go directly to Catholic Charities to alleviate misery and suffering caused by this unforgiving hurricane season.” It states further, “when we unite as members of the global Pirate community, we become a tremendous force for good.” On the right side of the screen is a button users can press to donate to Catholic Charities Relief Efforts. Brittany Setaro, a DOVE Work Study and senior majoring in speech pathology and social and behavioral sciences, recalled what DOVE did last year for those affected by Hurricane Harvey. “I know for Hurricane Harvey we collected donations after mass and put up flyers in the effort to have people donate to the cause,” Setaro said. This time, though, the way DOVE will respond to the natural disaster is different. “DOVE does not collect material items for disasters, as it has proven difficult and costly over the years to get these items to the intended recipients,” Setaro said. DOVE does still play a focal role in helping people in need, however. “In times of need, DOVE collaborates with other areas of the University to channel our efforts to the local Catholic Charities organization in disaster zones. This time, we are asking students, faculty, alumni, staff, and friends to make personal contributions to the Catholic Charities in the Diocese of Raleigh, North Carolina,” Setaro said. “We stand in solidarity with our neighbors in need and pray that through our generosity and the generosity of others, their human needs are met.” Kaitlyn Quinn can be reached at kaitlyn.quinn@student.shu.edu.