Pirates dominated by Butler in loss

On Thursday, the Seton Hall women’s soccer team fell, 3-0, to Butler University. The loss keeps the team winless in Big East play and puts them at 2-5-4 overall. In the first half, the Pirates were able to hold Butler to one goal, however the Bulldogs scored one minute into the second half to secure the momentum for the rest of the match. Butler ended the day with 18 shots compared to Seton Hall’s two. The Pirates offense had a few breakaways, yet were not able to break through and score. [caption id="attachment_24280" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Despite the final score, Anna MacLean had an amazing outing with nine saves, including five spectacular ones. MacLean has continued to be the backbone of the team, as she has recorded 55 saves so far this season. Siobhan McGovern, the team’s leading goal scorer and shot taker, had to leave the game during the first ten minutes. Atley Fortney took her place. The Pirates next game will be Sunday, Sept. 30 at 1 p.m. vs. against top-10 ranked Georgetown at Owen T. Carroll Field. It will be the Mary Jennings Memorial Game, as the team will be wearing green in support of Mary Jennings, a former player who passed away of cancer at 21. Donations can be made on the Seton Hall Athletics website. After that, the Pirates will hit the road to play against Villanova and Creighton. Madisyn Travisano can be reached at madisyn.travisano@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @maditravisano.