Pirates remain winless in Big East play after loss to Georgetown

The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team fell, 3-0, to Georgetown University on Wednesday night. The loss drops the Pirates to 0-4 in Big East play. The teams were neck-and-neck in set one, trading points the entire way. Georgetown was able to break through and go up 15-11 at a point, but Seton Hall clawed back into the lead, 17-16, with kills from Abby Thelen and a few service errors from Georgetown. Despite Seton Hall’s best efforts, however, Georgetown would go on to win the set, 25-21. Thelen ended with five kills, and Sophia Coffey had 10 assists. [caption id="attachment_24183" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption]   The second set did not start as well for the Pirates. Down 9-3, head coach Allison Yaeger was forced to burn her team’s first timeout. After that, things did not get much better for the Pirates, as the Hoyas continued to put pressure on. Due in part to the set’s slow start, Seton Hall ultimately fell, 25-16. Through two sets, the Pirates were being outmatched in almost every category. Georgetown led in kills, 34 to 22, hitting percentage, 46 percent to 22 percent, and digs, 25 to 19. Seton Hall also had nine attacking errors as compared to Georgetown’s six. Also, in set two, Thelen matched her previous set with five kills. In the pivotal third set, Thelen started the Pirates off on the right foot with another kill. The Pirates were able to continue to use their desperation to their advantage early on, keeping pace with the Hoyas and grabbing multiple leads. The Hoyas, who remain undefeated in Big East play after the victory, still proved to be too much to handle. Falling down 14-12, Seton Hall had to use a timeout to try and get things back under control. Georgetown, on a final kill by Margo Pivonka, was able to win set three, 25-18, ending the day in disappointing fashion for Seton Hall. Thelen ended the night with 14 of Seton Hall’s 31 kills, which was good enough to lead the match as well. Coffey’s 19 assists were the second most in the match behind Pivonka. The Pirates will look to bounce back on Saturday, Sept. 29 as they continue their four-game road trip with a visit to play St. John’s University. First serve is scheduled for 5 p.m. Kevin Kopf can be reached at kevin.kopf@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @KMKTNF.