Pirates get caught in the Red Storm

On Saturday, the Seton Hall men’s soccer team fell, 1-0, to the St. John’s Red Storm in its first Big East Conference game of the season. The beginning of the game was mostly uneventful until Matt Forster scored for St. John’s in the ninth minute. After the goal, the two teams exchanged fouls and shots for the next ten minutes. St. John’s then fired six shots in a row, four of them being on goal, but Andreas Nota was able to stop them all. Nothing more happened in the first half, despite Seton Hall’s Love Fredriksson and St. John’s Brandon Knapp both receiving yellow cards. St. John’s also got two more shots before the first half concluded. [caption id="attachment_24005" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The second half started out slow, but in the 57th minute Pirates forward CJ Tibbling found his chance and headed a shot on goal, but it was ultimately turned away by St. John’s goalkeeper Lenny Wilson. In the 65th minute, Tomas Greco also headed a shot that was also saved by Wilson. Both teams exchanged fouls and shots until the 89th minute, when Greco headed another ball that was yet again saved by Wilson. The Pirates finished with 12 shots, five of which were on-goal, compared to St. John’s 13 shots and seven shots-on goal. Nota finished with six saves, and Wilson finished with five saves, while Seton Hall had four corner kicks to St. John’s had five. Both teams finished almost even in fouls, with the Pirates committing 13 fouls and the Red Storm committing 14. The Pirates will look to end their three-game winless streak on Wednesday when they battle Sacred Heart University. Kickoff is set for at 3 p.m. Joseph Ippolito can be reached at joseph.ippolito@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @joeippy.