Pirates dominant in draw

Seton Hall women’s soccer picked up its third tie of the season on Sunday afternoon after being unable to secure a win against Central Connecticut State University in double overtime. Despite the best efforts of both teams, the final score was 0-0. The first half was dominated by the Pirates as they outshot Central Connecticut 9-3 and maintained possession for most of the half. Anna MacLean started in goal for the Hall, stopping all three of Central Connecticut’s shots. Seton Hall continued to put pressure on its opponents at the start of the second half but were unable to capitalize on any of its opportunities due to the stellar play of Central Connecticut’s goalie. As the Blue Devils began to feel the weight of the Pirates’ offense on their heels, they started to match the energy. Central Connecticut ended the half with a 9-8 edge in shots. [caption id="attachment_24015" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] After a strong showing in the first two periods of play, the Pirates came out looking to finish what they started in overtime. Central Connecticut seemed to be getting all the opportunities as MacLean continued to impress, giving them zero chances to capitalize. As the clock winded down it was clear that this match would be going into double-overtime. After a hard fought 100 minutes of play, the Hall came out flat for double-overtime. Seton Hall was ultimately outshot 6-0 by Central Connecticut State in the final frame, but managed to escape with a draw. MacLean was the star for the Pirates, as she made a season high ten saves and recorded her fourth shutout of the season. Cassy Harrigan finished the game with a season high five shots, three of which were on goal. The Pirates will return to action Wednesday, Sep. 19 at LIU Brooklyn before starting Big East play on Sep. 22 at home against DePaul. Brittany Tomore can be reached at Brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore