Pirates open season with quality performance at Alex Lagowitz Memorial

The Seton Hall men’s golf team started its season this past weekend with a strong showing at the Alex Lagowitz Memorial at Seven Oaks Golf Club in Hamilton, N.Y.  The varsity team was able to grab a fourth-place finish in a field of 15 teams, while the “B” team garnered a 15th place finish. For the weekend, the team sent its entire nine-man roster, which was the largest it has fielded in several years. The Pirates put together multiple quality performances, headlined by freshman Deven Ramachandran who finished in the top-five in the individual leaderboards. Through the first two rounds of the tournament, the Pirates placed fourth behind Lafayette College, Colgate University, and Lehigh University, shooting 10-over-par and finishing with 586 points. Andres Acevedo led the team on the first day of the tournament placing 11th in the player leaderboards with a total score of 145 through the first two rounds. [caption id="attachment_23840" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] In round three, many players provided key performances to help Seton Hall finish strong. Gen Nagai shot 2-under-par and finished tied for seventh with a scoreline of 75-72-70-217. Nagai’s seventh-place finish would prove to be the best individually for the Pirates. Acevedo was not able to crack a top-10 finish, but remained at 11th with a 2-over- par. Chris Yeom, after opening the round 3-over-par, put together back to back even-par rounds and ended up in 14th place on the leaderboards. The squad finished the tournament with a 15-over-par at 293-293-293-897. Overall, the team put together a decent tournament, including the freshman in their collegiate debut. Ramachandran, who shot 2-under-par, 72, which clinched him a top-five individual finish for his first college tournament, proved to be the weekend’s bright spot. Fellow freshman Hunter Ramee finished with a 17-over-par,71-76--84-233. Tyler Po finished with a 19-over-par, 78-79-78-235. Next week, Seton Hall will participate in the Hartford Hawks Invitational in South Kent, Conn. beginning on Monday, September 17. The team will look to improve and look forward after its fourth-place finish this week. Ryan Beltran can be reached at ryan.beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011.