Interim President Meehan to the class of 2022

I am very pleased to welcome you to Seton Hall! You have chosen a University that stands on 162 years of educating students in mind, heart and spirit. As a member of our community, you will have the opportunity to achieve your academic, personal and professional goals. You will learn to engage the world as a servant leader, and to use your knowledge and skills to benefit the human family. [caption id="attachment_23472" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via shu.edu.[/caption] Like you, I was once a new Setonian. I was struck by the prospects of studying at this institution, excited to discover what lay ahead and perhaps a little apprehensive about whether I would measure up. You may feel this way, too. But I assure you, we have broad confidence in your achievements, abilities and potential for success. Though much will be expected of you, we know you will meet — and exceed — those expectations. Your freshman year marks the beginning of a relationship with Seton Hall that will continue long after graduation. It is also a year of transition from your life in high school to your new life as a collegian. To ease this transition, I encourage you to make connections throughout the University; meaningful connections lie at the heart of Seton Hall’s social and intellectual character. Connect with faculty members. They will teach you, mentor you and share their perspectives on learning and life. Connect with fellow students. They will offer their own ideas and insights, and force you to reevaluate your thinking, and some will become your lifelong friends. Connect with alumni. Seton Hall has more than 100,000 graduates who are cheering for you and will do their utmost to provide opportunities for professional growth. Connect with staff members. They will guide and support you in any way they can. And connect with members of the community. Through them, you will learn that higher education is only valuable in how it is used to improve others’ lives. Seton Hall will challenge you to question and analyze, to think critically and ethically, and to create coherence and derive meaning. The connections you make here will help you achieve these objectives and serve you well throughout your life. Have an enjoyable and relaxing summer, and again, welcome to Seton Hall. Sincerely, Mary J. Meehan, Ph.D. Interim President