So, Seton Hall...Are we getting a commencement speaker?

Ah, yes. It’s that time of year again. [caption id="attachment_21026" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Abigail Deffler/Staff Photographer[/caption] The birds are (not really) chirping. The weather is (not really) getting warmer. And Seton Hall has (not) announced a commencement speaker for the 2018 graduation ceremony. Please note the sarcasm. Commencement speakers have been a touchy subject for seniors at SHU the last few years. While some may think that having a keynote presentation at graduation is unnecessary, a vast majority believe that they would like at least some form of professional presentation. Last year, Seton Hall featured its first commencement speaker since 2014. Matthew Wright, a member of the Board of Regents, spoke at last year’s ceremony. Many seniors saw this as a way for the University to make up for the year’s venue debacle, when the Prudential Center had scheduling conflicts, forcing Seton Hall to find an alternate venue and making seniors believe they wouldn’t be graduating with their friends until just weeks before the ceremony. It was exactly a year and a day ago that SHU announced that it would have a speaker. So why now, a month and a half before graduation is set to take place, do we not know if there will be one? In a number of articles throughout the years, The Setonian has quoted seniors urging for the school to give students someone inspirational to listen to. It is these messages from a successful person that do what little else can: calm down a bunch of graduates who are facing the “real world.” We know it’s no easy task to find a decent speaker who can work with SHU’s schedule, but it’s time the University at least let students know whether they’re going to get what they want or not. The ball’s in your court, SHU. Try not to let the seniors down. The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.