Pirates and Cowboys forced to settle for draw in back-and-forth game

The Seton Hall baseball team ended its three-day stint in Stillwater, Okla. with a 3-3 tie against the Oklahoma State Cowboys on Sunday. In Seton Hall’s first tie-game since the 2010 season, Connor Hood launched a two-run home run, while Billy Layne Jr. threw four impressive innings for the Pirates. However, because of lightning, rain and the Pirates’ travel schedule, the game was forced to conclude with one out in the bottom of the eighth. Matt Leon recorded the final out before the game was ended prematurely, as the result brings Seton Hall to 7-9-1 on the season. [caption id="attachment_22363" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Seton Hall jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the second inning, in somewhat unlikely circumstances. Tyler Shedler-McAvoy came to the plate with two outs and no runners on, and the sophomore singled to center field, setting up Hood, who launched his first career home run over the center field wall. Oklahoma State cut the lead in half in the bottom of the fourth inning, with the Cowboys’ Colin Simpson hitting a solo home run. It was the first hit allowed by Layne, Jr., and the Pirates starter was later able to work out of a jam, getting a ground out and strike out to prevent Oklahoma State when it had two runners in scoring position. The redshirt sophomore Layne, Jr. allowed just one run over four innings, as he walked three, struck out three and surrendered just two hits in a no decision. Oklahoma State grabbed the lead in the fifth inning with Noah Thompson on the mound, as a misplayed ball by Ryan Ramiz in right field allowed two runners to score, giving the Cowboys the 3-2 advantage. Despite surrendering those two runs, Thompson tossed three hitless innings with no runs earned. He struck out and walked two batters each. In the top of the seventh inning, with Seton Hall needing a run and two outs tallied, Pirates’ senior Al Molina rose to the occasion and singled, which allowed Hood to score and tie the game at 3-3. Mike Alescio went 3-for-3 with a sacrifice bunt, while Shedler-McAvoy reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and a stolen base.  Meanwhile, Molina went 2-for-4 with an RBI. Seton Hall had nine hits to Oklahoma State’s three; however, the Pirates committed three errors, while the Cowboys were errorless. In addition, Seton Hall left 10 men on base, while Oklahoma State left eight. Seton Hall will host Lafayette at Owen T. Carroll Field on Wednesday, March 21, with first pitch scheduled for 4 p.m. Anthony Talarico can be reached at anthony.talarico@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.