Pirates gain production experience in work study

Through Pirate TV, students learn about SHU’s sports teams, upcoming events and school news. However, many people do not know the faces behind Pirate TV and the Communication Department. Many might not have heard of the TV work studies crew in the basement of Fahy Hall unless they are a communication major. [caption id="attachment_22016" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Students said they have learned lessons about TV production while completing a work study. Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor[/caption] The work studies crew is comprised of three students who help with everything — from lighting, assembling sets, keeping track of equipment and the general maintenance of the equipment in the studio. According to students, the program helps instill abilities into the communication students who are aspiring to go into broadcasting or other media departments. Thomas Mills, a senior visual and sound media major, is one of the student workers in the TV studio that help prepare the space for different projects. Mills said he learned about the program by seeing signs posted in the TV studio and saw that it was a good chance to learn more about his craft. “I got into the program because I was very interested in learning more about how TV works,” Mills said. “I also have learned about camera and other equipment such as lights and audio equipment. “I have learned the inner workings of how a TV show should be produced and directed. I have also learned how to check field production equipment to see if it is in working order.” Mills plans on being a freelance video editor, using his skills that he has gathered from the program and his major. Tommy Rinaldi, a junior visual and sound media major, works alongside Mills in the work studies program. Rinaldi explained his experience and how much it has helped him learn. “Last semester, when I started working for the TV studio, was my first time interacting with this type of equipment because I was originally a business major.” Rinaldi said that working at the TV studio has helped him get comfortable with all the equipment needed to run a TV show as well as help him become a producer for Pirate TV. Rinaldi credits working in the TV studio as helping solidify his dreams of working in film. He said one day he hopes to be a film critic for his own company. Courtney Carr, a senior broadcasting major, said she became interested in the program during her sophomore year. “I recommend it 100 percent, she said. “I have learned so much about my field just through work study.” Carr advises future participants in the program to pay attention to detail and always ask questions. “There is always room for questions but less room for mistakes,” Carr said. Carr said that the three work studies students in the studio have formed a tight-knit group. “Most of our work is a group effort but we tend to hang out outside of work and get food or other stuff like that,” she said. Carr is set to graduate in December 2018 and said she plans on working in the production field in the future, “This job has helped me tremendously understand the workings of the behind the scene aspects of my field of study.” Zoey Dotson can be reached at zoey.dotson@student.shu.edu.