Seton Hall baseball drops doubleheader to No. 23 NC State to start season

The Pirates lost two close games as they opened up the 2018 baseball season against No. 23 ranked North Carolina State on Friday. The first game started with the Wolfpack taking an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning. However, Shane McCarthy pitched well to keep the score the same through the first five innings. [caption id="attachment_21671" align="aligncenter" width="1440"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Shortstop Al Molina tied up the game in the top of the sixth inning, as hitting a sacrifice fly that allowed Rob Dadona to score. However, NC State took control in the bottom of the inning, building a 6-1 lead. The Wolfpack added to the lead in the seventh inning, giving them an 8-1 advantage. Seton Hall tried to answer, though, scoring three runs in the eighth inning thanks to two sacrifice hits by Connor Hood and Mike Alescio, as well as a single from Matt Toke. But the run ended there, as NC State wrapped up the game with an 8-4 victory. The second game of the doubleheader was a pitchers' duel, with the Wolfpack taking the 3-1 result. The Pirates got off to a strong start, as Toke doubled to left in the first inning, scoring Alescio. Starting pitcher Andrew Politi held the Pirates' lead until the third inning, where the Wolfpack used their bats to take a 2-1 advantage. That was followed up with a solo home run allowed in the fourth inning by Politi. The Pirates pitched well for the rest of the game, allowing just three hits over the final three innings.  Unfortunately, the could not get going. The Pirates will be back in action on Sunday at 1 p.m. to finish off their three-game series with the Wolfpack. Mat Mlodzinski can be reached at matthew.mlodzinski@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Mlodzinski_15.