Pirates put on rally caps to split Friday doubleheader

The Seton Hall softball team split their Friday doubleheader of the Bearkat Classic in Huntsville, Texas, falling to Northern Colorado, 5-0, before beating hosts Sam Houston State in thrilling, come-from-behind fashion, 10-6. The first game did not fare too well for the Pirates, as the Bears of Northern Colorado put four runs past Pirate pitcher Reganne Camp, who had allowed just one run in her first 14 innings pitched heading into Friday. Camp pitched six innings against Northern Colorado, allowing five hits and four runs, including a three-run seventh inning that sunk Seton Hall. [caption id="attachment_21679" align="aligncenter" width="1440"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Northern Colorado got its offense from many sources, with five players touching home as well as five players recording RBI's. The Bears took the lead with one run in the fourth inning, and never looked back from there. The evening portion of the doubleheader saw a reversal of fortune for the gritty Pirates. Embodying the 1934 Seton Hall baseball team that inspired the Pirate name with a four-run comeback against the Holy Cross Crusaders in the ninth, the softball team made a triumphant six-run comeback over four innings to win 10-6 over Sam Houston State. The Pirates have the heroics of Madison Strunk to thank for the victory, as Strunk came in with the Pirates behind 6-0 and pitched four scoreless innings of relief to give Seton Hall a chance at coming back. From there, Janae Barracato, Sara Foster and Ragen Reddick helped provide the offense that fueled the comeback, as the freshman Barracato went 3-for-4 with two runs, Reddick 2-for-2 with two runs and Foster 3-for-4 with one run. Reddick got the crucial two-run go-ahead double in the seventh inning that sent the Pirates into pandemonium. On the game, Seton Hall held a 16-9 advantage in terms of hits, as the Pirates quelled the Bearkat offense after their four-inning head-start. The evening win improves Seton Hall to 4-2 on the season after a 3-1 start to the season in San Antonio, Texas last weekend. The Pirates will have a full Saturday in Huntsville, as a doubleheader versus Wichita State and No. 4 Washington awaits. Timothy Guerrero can be reached at timothy.guerrero@student.shu.edu. James Justice can be reached at james.justice@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @JamesJusticeIII.