Pirates finish tournament-to-remember with program record and individual title

The Seton Hall men’s golf team finished what was a historic three days in the UNC Greensboro Martin Downs Collegiate in Palms City, Fla., recording an aggregate score of 853 on the tournament, the lowest ever in program history. In just his sixth collegiate tournament, freshman Gregor Tait shot a 9-under-par, 207, to earn the individual title. The triumph was the first individual title won by a Pirate since Lloyd Jefferson Go at the Princeton Invitational last spring, and Tait became only the 11th golfer in the men’s programs’ history to win an individual title. [caption id="attachment_21629" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Tait finished two stokes above West Virginia’s Matthew Sharpstene to win the title; however, despite a record-setting 11-under par by the Pirates, Sharpstene was able to lead his Mountaineers to a team championship. Coming into the final round on Tuesday, the Pirates led West Virginia by seven strokes. The Hall shot a respectable 3-under in its final round, but the Mountaineers shot a miraculous 12-under-par to storm back and win the team title. Tait shot a 1-under-par, 71 in the final round on Tuesday to outlast Sharpstene for the title. His 9-under performance tied for second in Pirate history on a 72-par course. Junior Chris Yeom joined Tait in the top ten in the individual leaderboard, shooting a 4-under-par, 72, making for his fourth top ten finish in six events this year. Meanwhile, Linus Yip, the lone senior on Seton Hall, put together two consecutive sub-par rounds to help complete his first under-par round as a Pirate. Yip shot a 2-under par, 70, which earned him 12th place individually. The Pirates will return to South Orange on the back of the record-setting tournament, before traveling to Goodyear, Ariz. for their second tournament of the spring, the Loyola Invitational, from Feb. 25-26. Connor Hester can be reached at connor.hester@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @connor_hester31.