Students share their worst classroom experiences

Seton Hall students discussed their classroom nightmares — situations that students would not want to encounter in class. However, for these students, their nightmares turned into realities. Andrea Orleanski, a freshman biology physical therapy major, has a total of about an hour commute to and from campus every day from Andover, N.J. [caption id="attachment_21453" align="aligncenter" width="768"] Many students experience embarrassing moments during their college career.
Coby Dunn/Staff Photographer[/caption] She said that on the first day of her first semester at college, she had to miss her first class due to a car accident on Route 280, where she was stuck in traffic for nearly three hours. She arrived to her chemistry class with only five minutes remaining. “I was really nervous because it was my first day of college classes,” Orleanski said. “And this made it worse.” Orleanski said that she also missed her entire first day of classes at the beginning of the spring semester because of the hazardous conditions on the roads caused by the snowstorm. She sent an email to all of her professors, who all agreed she made the right decision not to attend class. “My advice to other commuters is to plan ahead before your travel,” Orleanski said. “Know that things are out of your control and don’t freak out when accidents happen on the road. The professors will understand.” Raymond Richards, a senior athletic training major, thought he was having a nightmare when he realized that he was the only student left in the classroom during his physics lab final. He said that he fell asleep during the final because he could not figure out how to complete the rest of the problems on his exam. “I tried to hand in my exam with what I did but he [my professor] wouldn’t let me leave without finishing,” Richards said. “I sat there for at least two hours after the class ended to finish.” Richards said that to avoid this problem, students should allot themselves enough time to study as well as to seek help from the Tutors-in-Residence and from the Academic Resource Center. Michael Holmes, a junior diplomacy major, joined a GroupMe chat for his Christianity and Culture in Dialogue class without realizing that he had an explicit username. He said that after his professor joined the chat, he immediately deleted his account and made a new one with an appropriate username. On the first day of class, the professor asked him if he was the student with the explicit name. “I was nervous that the professor would have a really bad impression of me,” Holmes said. “I thought he would hate me for the rest of the semester, but now he is writing a letter of recommendation for me.” Holmes said that students should be mindful of how to identify themselves on the internet. “Jokes can be funny,” he said. “However, you have to be careful with how you identify yourself in front of your peers and your professors because it will affect you in the future.” Liam Oakes can be reached at liam.oakes@student.shu.edu.