Freshmen mentors honored with role model distinction

Seton Hall recently became a member of Minority Access, Inc., which is an organization that recognizes and supports underrepresented students for their academic and social contributions. Minority Access implements and administers programs and services that advance the recruitment, retention and enhancement of minority populations, to improve diversity in higher education, scholarships and employment. [caption id="attachment_20748" align="aligncenter" width="889"] Raymond Richards and Cassandra Germana were honored with the Minority Access National Role Model Distinction.
Photo via shu.edu[/caption] The Freshman Studies Department at Seton Hall celebrated its affiliation with Minority Access, Inc., and its 2017 undergraduate and graduate role models, Cassandra Germana and Raymond Richards, for being honored with the Minority Access National Role Model Distinction. Germana, a Freshman Studies mentor and returning graduate assistant, graduated from Seton Hall in 2010 with a degree in biology. Since then, she has worked in the New York State Government and is currently working on her master’s degree in healthcare management. According to the dean of Freshman Studies and Special Academic Programs, Dr. Robin Cunningham, “Cassandra deserved this distinction because she has proven to be an excellent instructor, a compassionate mentor and a strong role model to her colleagues and students.” Germana said she is pleased to be a member of the Freshman Studies Department and if there is one thing that she would like Seton Hall students to remember, it is renowned social figure, Oprah Winfrey’s words. “With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice,” Germana said. Raymond Richards has been a peer adviser with Freshman Studies for the past two years and has helped countless freshmen make a smooth transition into college life. Cunningham described him as a “leader, not only to his younger students, but also to his Peer Adviser community. Raymond deserves this distinction because he has always been hard working, a strong role model to his colleagues and students, and an ambassador of Seton Hall.” Alyssa Hawkins can be reached at alyssa.hawkins@student.shu.edu.