Cale relies on teammates to overcome early obstacles

The transition from high school basketball player to collegiate athlete can be a difficult jump, especially when one has to recover from a shoulder injury the first month on campus. Myles Cale had long awaited his arrival in South Orange, but had to wait a little longer to take the court due to the setback. “It was a lot. It was nerve-wracking at first,” the freshman from Delaware said. “You get frustrated, but you got to fight through it.” [caption id="attachment_20603" align="aligncenter" width="683"] Photo via Greg Medina/Photography Editor[/caption] Cale did not have to endure his injury alone, though, since Seton Hall’s training staff, coaches and teammates have all supported him with his injury and adapting to life as a college athlete. His teammates specifically played a large role in getting Cale acclimated to life at Seton Hall. “It’s been a learning experience. Every single senior is telling me good information I need to know,” Cale said. “They took me under their wing – giving me advice on everything on the court and off the court. So, I’m happy I have these four.” Cale is very fortunate to have the only active senior trio of 1,000-point scorers in the country in Desi Rodriguez, Khadeen Carrington and Angel Delgado. If those resources are not already enough, Cale can seek guidance from one of the most relentless workers and arguably the most lock-down defenders in the Big East Conference in Ismael Sanogo. Having the opportunity to work with such a unique group of players has been very humbling for Cale, who was dominant in high school, averaging a double-double in his final two seasons. “It’s crazy because I was just watching these guys on TV, winning, and now I’m really part of that,” Cale said. “I like it a lot. I feel like I’m really blessed to be on the team. We’ve got four seniors – I can learn from them and get all the knowledge I need for next year to prepare me.” His teammates helped keep Cale positive during the process of recovery and it has been that unwanted experience that has given him an even more grateful outlook. “I think that [the shoulder injury] helped me a lot,” Cale said. “I love the game even more knowing that it can get taken away at any time.” With that in mind, Cale is working tirelessly to absorb what he can while contributing to a national championship contender. Rodriguez voiced his appreciation of what Cale can bring to the team. “I see a lot of versatility,” Rodriguez said. “He’s a very versatile player and I see a lot of athleticism out of him. He runs the floor great and he plays defense.” Although Cale typically runs with the second team, his jack-of-all-trades abilities resemble what Rodriguez brings to the table. Even though it seems a ways off now, that ability could help Cale fill-in the imminent void in the post-Rodriguez era. “He’s a freshman and he’s still got a lot to learn, but he’s been great for us,” Rodriguez said. In the Hall’s two exhibitions contests, Cale has gotten his fair run of minutes, putting up more than 20 in both contests. Cale also broke double digit points in the Pirates game against LIU-Post on Nov. 4, connecting on two three-point field goals. The exposure for Cale this season may help build up his confidence, but the freshman understands that his role may be limited due to the talent and chemistry among the current starters and rotational players. “I’m going to let them handle what they handle,” Cale said. “You know – be unselfish and humble.” Nonetheless, Cale is hungry and ready to contribute whenever head coach Kevin Willard calls his name. “I’m just going to stay ready and whatever coach needs me to go out there and do, I’m going to do,” Cale said. Kyle Kasharian can be reached at kyle.kasharian@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ItsKyleKash.