Students encouraged to hunt through history

Starting Oct. 27 through Oct. 31, all members of the SHU community will be able to participate in the “Lost History Tour.” This event is a self-guided tour around campus in which participants have the opportunity to collect clues, explore various locations and learn about the history that colors Seton Hall’s past. [caption id="attachment_20353" align="aligncenter" width="838"] The first 10 participants to complete the scavenger hunt can pick up their prizes in Bayley Hall.
Adrian Chavez/Staff Photographer[/caption] The first 10 participants to reach the final location will receive prizes that they can pick up from Bayley Hall (Room 200) on Wednesday, Nov. 1 between the hours of 8:45 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Participants must present their clue cards at the office for proof of completing the scavenger hunt. According to Interim Provost Dr. Karen Boroff, the tour was inspired by of an appreciation for Seton Hall’s history, spanning more than 160 years. She explained that each spot on the tour will contain a historical fact about that location as well as a clue to the next one. “All too often, most of us go by, barely noticing the beauty of the wonderful campus and the many stories behind its artifacts,” Boroff said. “We encourage students to take a study break, share some time with friends and just become more connected with their home, Seton Hall University.” She added that John Signorello, associate vice president of the Facilities and Operations, collaborated on the effort with her and vice president for Administration Dennis Garbini by designing the tour. She said he wanted to create an event in which students do not have to rely on buildings being open. For that reason, students can participate in the event at any time during the tour’s run. In fact, Signorello’s desire for the event to be accommodating led to changes in its structure. According to Boroff, while she had wanted to incorporate “scary places” on campus, she and Signorello agreed that certain places were too small and would not accommodate a great number of students. She cited the tunnels under the Green as an example. Kelly Carr, a junior public relations major, said she would like to know more about the event before she participated. “I think it’s a really interesting idea, but I would want to know what makes it different from a regular tour and (its) incentive,” she said. “For example what would the prizes be?” Boroff said the prizes are meant to be a surprise and that participants should have fun in the process of discovering them. Kevon Brooks, a sophomore psychology major, said he is interested in the event and would like to learn more about it as it may fit into his often uncertain schedule. For more information on how to get involved in the event, potential participants can reach out to Signorello. Students and other members of the University are also encouraged to work together on the tour and share their experience on social media with the hashtag #TourtheHall. Julie Trien can be reached at julie.trien@student.shu.edu.