Pirates pick up point in 1-1 draw against Creighton

The Seton Hall women's soccer team drew Creighton, 1-1, earning their third result in five conference games on an overcast Sunday afternoon at Owen T. Carroll Field. The Pirates lone goal came on a Julia Stirpe penalty kick in the 86th minute which knotted the game at one. Stirpe was able to draw a timely foul in the box and put away her second goal of the year, slotting home the spot kick with her right foot. [caption id="attachment_20081" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Stirpe's goal was the culmination of a momentum swing for the Pirates, who found themselves down early following a Jaylin Bosak goal in the 32nd minute which put the Bluejays ahead. Facing the prospects of a 2-0 deficit in the 83rd minute, Pirates goalkeeper Laura Dramis made a diving save on a Creighton free kick to keep the Bluejay lead at one.  The save was a turning point for the Pirates, who, following the save, were able to apply the offensive pressure that led to the Stirpe goal. Seton Hall led Creighton in shots, 17-11, as well as shots-on-goal, 6-3. Defensively the Hall was compact, not allowing Creighton a single corner kick, while taking six themselves. The Pirates offense was not just Stirpe, though, as Marissa Aniolowski led the match with six shots for the Hall, while Izzy Engel had a match-high three shots-on-net for the Pirates. Despite the offensive breakthrough late in regulation, the Pirates could not find a winning goal in the two 10 minute extra-time periods, and were forced to settle for their fifth draw, and not their first win, of 2017. The Pirates will have almost a week to rest up before they travel to Queens, N.Y. in search of their first win, as the two local Big East rivals Seton Hall and St. John’s will see their rivalry renewed on the field. That game is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 14 at 8 p.m. Nick Santoriello can be reached at nick.santoriello@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @NickSantoriello.