Pirates outrun the competition at Delaware Invitational

The Seton Hall men’s and women’s cross country teams both captured a third straight win, for the women their fourth on the year, in the Delaware Blue and Gold Invitational in Newark, Del. Eight schools competed in the six kilometer run which started the invitational, with the Pirates able to finish first with a total team time of 1:59:18. Four of the top five runners were from Seton Hall. Christina Rutkowski, who came into the day with three first place finishes in four races, finished first among the pack of 81 runners with a total time of 22:47.5, good for an average mile time of 6:06.8. [caption id="attachment_20075" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Not far behind, Emily Johnson finished second, while sisters Olivia and Emily Hernandez finished third and fifth, respectively. The men followed suit with the women, finishing first among the seven schools in the eight-kilometer run with a total team time of 2:18:00. Three of the top five runners were from Seton Hall, including junior Jarod Moser, who finished first out of the 64 total runners with a time of 26:39.6, making an average mile time of 5:21.8. Jake Simon was right behind Moser in second, while Stephens rounded out the top five in fifth. Jesse Southard and Jeff Larson were two more Pirates who finished in the top-10, with the duo placing in sixth and ninth. The Pirates will be eyeing another victory on Friday, Oct. 13 when they will travel to Van Cortlandt Park, N.Y. to compete in the Metro Championship. Joseph Ippolito can be reached at joseph.ippolito@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @joeippy.