Delaware shuts out Seton Hall to end winning streak

Seton Hall took on Delaware at Owen T. Carroll Field Wednesday night, with the Blue Hens putting in a goal in each half, and the Pirates being unable to produce similar resilience from games past, as Delaware prevailed 2-0. Not much went the Pirates way from the beginning as they failed to make an effective attack on net. The Blue Hens were quick with their offense and moved the ball efficiently to get eight shots in the first half. [caption id="attachment_19569" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via Greg Medina[/caption] Delaware’s aggressive play eventually paid off when it forced a Seton Hall foul in the box leading to a penalty kick. Philippe Thibault netted the penalty in the 34th minute to give the visitors a 1-0 lead which they took into half time. The second half was more of the same for the Hall that came out flat again and was unable to make a successful attack on the Blue Hens’ defense. With Seton Hall unable to find the goal to extend a record-long winning streak for head coach Gerson Echeverry, Prieto Fede gave Delaware complete control when he scored the team’s second goal. Frede found himself in space and fired a shot from 24 yards out which hit the top of the crossbar before coming down in the back of the net. Seton Hall began to control possession with Delaware comfortable in a two-goal lead and the Pirates desperate to take some positives from their final game before a long-awaited Big East opener on Saturday against St. John’s. The Pirates created a couple opportunities but were halted on each attempt as they only were able to put forward four shots in the second half and seven in the whole game. “I think a couple of times we could have done better on the final pass,” head coach Gerson Echeverry said after the match. “If we would’ve picked our spots better, I think we could have made it interesting.” Seton Hall will now have to turn the page on this sour note, with local rivals St. Johns coming to South Orange on Sept. 16 to commence Big East conference play. Keith Egan can be reached at keith.egan@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Keith_egan10.