Dr. Karen Boroff named Interim Provost

[caption id="attachment_15587" align="aligncenter" width="683"]Boroff is a professor and Dean Emeritus of the Stillman School of Business. Photo courtesy of Karen Boroff Boroff is a professor and Dean Emeritus of the Stillman School of Business. Photo courtesy of Karen Boroff[/caption] Two weeks after the announcement that Provost Larry Robinson will be retiring in December, the University has appointed Dr. Karen Boroff  Interim Provost and Executive Vice President. Boroff, professor and Dean Emeritus of the Stillman School of Business, is set to begin her new role Jan. 1, 2017. She said that she was offered the position by President Gabriel Esteban about a week prior to the announcement that she would become Interim Provost. Joan Guetti, senior associate provost, said in an email interview that she had great confidence in Boroff’s leadership skills to advance the Office of the Provost until the new Provost is selected. “Her extensive administrative experience as Dean of the Stillman School of Business and her interactions during that time with the Office of the Provost provide excellent preparation for her new role,” Guetti said. Boroff said she will most likely not continue to teach classes while she is Interim Provost because she would not have as much time to dedicate to her students as she would need. She said that her mission is to “bring her best to the table.” Although Boroff said that she is thrilled and not at all nervous to serve as the Interim Provost, she does not at this time see herself moving into the position of  Provost permanently. “More specifically for myself with this job, I hope to make the best run that I can for my successor, whoever is going to be the full Provost,” Boroff said. “So when he or she takes over, they’ll feel as in love with the place as I do and they’ll be able to do their best.” Guetti said that the Provost has a unique job in Academic Affairs. She said that though deans are responsible for their specific colleges and schools, the Provost is responsible for the entire academic enterprise of the University. “There are many decisions about use of resources and how they are allotted to achieve goals,” Guetti said. “It is the Provost who oversees the Academic Affairs budget, interacts with our governing boards on academic issues, and with our Faculty Senate on faculty matters. Dr. Robinson has provided many instructional moments to our staff about the importance of promoting the centrality of academics in the life of the University and respecting the Catholic mission of this institution. I believe Dr. Boroff will do the same.” Ashley Turner can be reached at ashley.turner1@student.shu.edu.