Pokemon Go-ing out of style at SHU

[caption id="attachment_15041" align="alignnone" width="300"]pokemon-go Pokémon Go has started to decline in popularity in the U.S. and at Seton Hall University. Photo via www.pokemongo.com[/caption] With its U.S. release in July, Pokémon Go inspired millions of trainers to explore the world around them in search of Pokémon. However, recent reports indicate that the app’s popularity is declining. According to Bloomberg, the app’s number of daily users worldwide dropped from just over 45 million in late July to about 30 million by mid-August. Analysts suggested this trend will steadily continue. Some of Seton Hall’s students voiced their concerns about Pokémon Go and explained why they do not play as often as they once did. Samantha Morales, a sophomore undecided major, said while she used to play the game more frequently, she now only does so once a week. Morales said that this change was, in part, due to classes starting, which left less time in her schedule for Pokémon Go. Additionally, she said the app left her bored because there’s little interaction with the game and players beyond catching Pokémon. Others maintain their interest in the game by involving themselves in its competitive features. “The aspects of the game that keep me continuously interested are the competition and battles to become gym leader,” said Laura Colantonio, a junior marketing and interactive multimedia major. “I enjoy interacting with others who play the game and taking down their gym is an enjoyable way of doing that.” [caption id="attachment_15042" align="alignnone" width="300"]pikachu_stencil With the buddy system, players can obtain rare Pokemon, such as Pikachu. Photo via serebiiforums.com[/caption] Colantonio added that, since returning to campus this fall, she actually plays more often than she did over the summer because there seems to be a greater number of Pokémon on campus than in her hometown. However, the glitches and general frustrations surrounding the app have served as a point of intrigue for some players. Anne Szmul, a senior religion and accounting major, said that she originally downloaded the app after hearing about the negative publicity concerning the glitches and wanted to try the game for herself. Szmul explained that she would recommend the game as a way to actively re-engage with one’s childhood memories of the franchise and also as a means of exercise. Though Pokémon Go appears to be declining in popularity on the international scale, it may still find life by diversifying ways in which people can play. Nintendo announced a Sept. 16 release date for the new Pokémon Go Plus. This is a wristband or pin which will light up or buzz any time a Pokémon is near a user. According to Fortune, this would minimize the potential distraction and danger of playing on a phone. Also, the newest update to the game is the buddy system, which was introduced earlier this week. Ian Saviet, a freshman political science major, said the buddy update is the biggest update the game has had since August. “It allows you another way to gain candies for your Pokémon, which is very important for people with rare Pokémon or people who have Pokémon that don’t appear frequently in their area,” he said. Julie Trien can be reached at julie.trien@student.shu.edu.