Uber goes Gold for Pirates

[caption id="attachment_14898" align="aligncenter" width="3117"]© Joey Khan Photography © Joey Khan Photography[/caption] Pirate’s Gold has been used to pay for food and laundry at SHU. And now, it can even pay for  Uber rides. Ibiyemi Adesanya, the Campus ID Manager, said in an email interview that students need to download the Uber app on their phone, and either log into their account or sign up for one to set up Gold on their Uber account. Students have to click on the menu icon and then click “payment” in the mobile app. Following that step, students select “pay with campus card” on the next screen. A list of schools will then appear and the student will need to select “Seton Hall University.” Lastly, students can enter their PirateNet credentials and the card will be accepted as a payment method. Bryan Dwyer, director of Student Services Information Systems, said in an email interview that the idea to start paying for Uber with Pirate’s Gold was a relatively quick process that took about a month to put together. Dwyer said the move would help foster a safe environment for SHU students. “The Division of Student Services works hard to provide an excellent experience for our students, on campus, in the residence halls, and in the surrounding community,” Dwyer said. “We also like to take advantage of new technologies to enhance student life. Making Uber more accessible to our students was a logical step.” Cherice Carrillo, a senior diplomacy and international relations major, said that there is not much of a difference between using a credit card or Pirate’s Gold because it is all the same money. Freshmen still use their parent’s money while upperclassmen use their own money, Carrillo said. Thus, Carrillo said that while adding money to her Pirate’s Gold account is “annoying”, Uber is good for freshmen because it “gives them an opportunity to get off campus.” She added that she will continue to use her credit card as a form of payment for Uber. Haley Rudnicki, a freshman physician assistant major who used Uber in the past, said that Uber now accepting Pirate’s Gold will make her inclined to use the app more often. She added, “when the SHUFLY doesn’t come, I’ll just call an Uber instead.” Angela Morales, a freshman physics engineering major, said that she has not used Uber before, but that Uber accepting Pirate’s Gold might make her try it. Morales added that using Uber will save her money since her parents put funds into her Pirate’s Gold account, which speaks to the benefits of the financial side of the partnership. Isabel Soisson can be reached at isabel.soisson@student.shu.edu.