SHU baseball outlasts Savannah State in extra innings

[caption id="attachment_13650" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall baseball team scrapped out a road win against Savannah State, 4-3, in 12 innings on Friday in the first game of the Perfect Game College Spring Swing. The Pirates had a pair of heroes in the victory. The Blue and White were down 3-2 going into the ninth inning. Then, junior Joe Poduslenko brought in the game-tying run on a two-out RBI single. Sophomore Rob Dadona scored the game-winning run on Mike Caputo’s grounder that resulted in an error by the Tigers. The Pirates struggled to find much offense until the late stages of the game. Senior Derek Jenkins had two hits on the night. Jenkins was also active on the bases with two steals. Senior Zach Weigel also had two hits and a steal. Weigel scored the game-tying run in the ninth. The starter for the Pirates was sophomore Shane McCarthy, who went eight innings while giving up three runs. McCarthy struck out 11 and now has 26 strikeouts in four starts. Junior Anthony Pacillo earn his first career save after a strong inning where he struck out two. Trevor McKenna started for the Tigers and went seven innings while striking out nine batters. Infielder Khalyd Cox brought in two runs for Savannah State. Senior Charles Sikes had two hits in six at-bats. The Pirates have now won three straight games to bring their record to 7-6. Seton Hall will stay in Emerson, Ga., to play Iowa on Saturday, March 5 at 10 p.m.   Javon Glenn can be reached at javon.glenn@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @javong25.