New app puts a spin on doing laundry

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="342"] Courtesy of answers.com[/caption] Business Affairs and the Student Life committee of the Student Government Association (SGA) plan to implement a mobile application in January 2016 that will alert students when their laundry is done, according to Michael Garcia, director of Business Affairs. Part of the daily routine of being a resident on campus is making time to do laundry. However, since students often have to study or eat while their laundry is in the washer or dryer, they tend to forget to get their laundry on time. Failure to unload laundry on time results in problems in residence halls that have a limited number of washers and dryers available to students. Larger residence halls like Xavier and Boland have one laundry room with 12 washers and dryers compared to smaller residence halls like Serra with four washers and dryers. “We are currently having discussions with the laundry vending company to determine contractual requirements of providing the service,” Garcia said. “Once we have those agreed to, we will have them install the hardware in each of the residence halls on campus and at Turrell Manor.” Mawuena Sedodo, senior communication studies major, said other students have replaced her laundry with their own when she was late getting hers out of the washer or dryer. Sedodo said this app would be useful to residents and would have prevented her previous laundry mishap. Surabi Janardhan, sophomore biology major on physician assistant track, agrees. She said that although she sets a timer on her phone to the correct time of when her laundry is done, it takes her some time to get from the third floor where her dorm is to the first floor where the laundry room is. In that short time, some “impatient” students take her wet laundry out of the washer, Janardhan said. Sedodo said the app “will be a good reminder that we are doing laundry and that we should come down (on time)” to be considerate of other students who want to do laundry. Sedodo said it would be helpful if students could add money for laundry on the app. “Sometimes it is a hassle to go on PirateNet and add Pirate’s Gold by having to type in credit card information,” Sedodo said. “It would be more helpful if you could load money from the app through something like PayPal or any other easy pay services.” Janardhan suggested that the mobile app also should include laundry and stain removal tips. Diana Kim can be reached at diana.kim@student.shu.edu