Avoid registration woes

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="399"] shu.edu[/caption] The end of the semester is quickly approaching and the time to plan for the new semester is now. With pins already generated, the spring 2016 registration began on Nov. 2 and will run until Nov. 24. “The process of registering for classes does not start the night before you register,” said Dr. Gerald Ruscingno, a professor and academic advisor for the department of biology. Using the week before to organize plans for the semester is key. First, scheduling an appointment with an academic advisor will help get students on the right track. Dr. Ruscingno advises students to focus on classes required for their major first. “Build your schedule around those courses,” he said. “Once you secure your two or three major courses that you must have to graduate on time, build your core courses around it, for your core courses have several options available to fit your schedule.” Once a schedule of all classes has been outlined, it is important to make a backup plan, in case a class becomes full. Another way to avoid surprises at the time of registration is to begin checking the amount of students that have already signed up for each class a few days prior. It is also wise to enter these classes first during registration because it will increase the chances of snagging a spot in the class. While planning is key, it is also important to make sure all other credentials are in place prior to registration day. Reginald Roberson Jr., a junior business major and student employee of the Office of Bursar, emphasizes the importance of students checking their Bursar accounts. “My advice for registration going smoothly is always pay attention to your bill on the profile and finances tab under Piratenet.” Roberson said. “We send out notices to students’ house to warn them.” Experiencing the inability to register because of a hold is preventable if students regularly check their balance. Anticipating roadblocks and being prepared is important in the process. Dr. Ruscingno reminds students to make sure they have their pin number and double check the time they register. If necessary, students can ask a professor to sign them into a closed course. If a problem does arise during registration, it is important to remain calm and make an appointment to see an academic advisor as soon as possible, Ruscingno, said. Kelly Zarnowski can be reached at kelly.zarnowski@student.shu.edu.