Now is the time to watch

There is no better time than right now to be a sports fan.

When the NBA and NHL start their post seasons, I am glued to the TV night after night. The games are so intense.

If anyone's seen any of the Oklahoma City Thunder and Memphis Grizzlies series, it's almost like they can't decide a game without overtime.

The Mavericks are holding their own against the West's top seed San Antonio Spurs and the Atlanta Hawks have been taking it to the West's top seed Indiana Pacers, holding a 3-2 advantage in that series.

The Hawks have been the story of the NBA postseason, breaking down the media-hyped juggernaut that was the Indiana Pacers.

The Hawks have exposed a serious weakness in the Pacers: they don't play with a team mentality.

All of the matchups are intriguing. The games are usually very close.

Even hockey starts to become appealing to me. I'm not a big hockey fan, I don't really understand the sport, but I can understand that three Game 7s (Wednesday night) means a very exciting playoffs.

Think of another time when two major sports are in the post season?

There isn't.

The NCAA Tournament is the only time of year that can possible rival right now. It's close but there's something special about this year.

This year seems to be more exciting and with so much parity (see Hawks, Wizards, Trailblazers and Grizzlies) that the winner of any game is never clear until the end.

The most intriguing series though has been the one between the Nets and Raptors.

The rivalry between the two teams, and media outlets, has been heated.

That mixed with a back-and-forth series has been nothing short of exciting to watch.

I don't know what will happen during the rest of either postseason. What I do know is that I will be there, watching every game I can.

T.J. Brennan is a senior journalism major from Long Island, N.Y. He can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu.