Pirates take loss into series against Villanova

The Seton Hall baseball team stranded 10 runners on base in a 3-2 loss to Lehigh on Wednesday afternoon.

Sophomore standout Derek Jenkins, the hero of Tuesday's game, finished with a single, two walks and an RBI in the loss to Lehigh.

Jenkins, who ranks third in the nation in stolen bases, added to his already lofty total on Wednesday, swiping three bases against the Mountain Hawks. On the season, Jenkins has 32 steals, six away from the country's top spot.

"Confidence, mostly," Jenkins said when asked what the key to his success on the basepaths has been this season. "The coaches have always talked about that. If I'm struggling and get thrown out a few times, I just stay confident and keep using my legs."

Seton Hall's Conor Krauss, who pitched just the ninth inning, took the loss and he now stands at 1-2 on the year. The loss to Lehigh leaves the Pirates with an overall record of 28-9. The Pirates are 3-3 in the Big East and 11-1 at Owen T. Carroll Field.

The team now turns its attention to Villanova. Seton Hall will host the Wildcats for a three-game series from April 25-27.

'Nova will enter with an overall record of 12-25, los- ing 10 of its last 14 games in April.

Ruhlman, hitting at a team-high clip of .476, will look to continue to lead a powerful offense against a Wildcat team that's allowed 34 runs in its last five games.

"We take everything a game at a time," coach Sheppard told the Pirates Sports Network on Tuesday. "We've been resilient, and just need to continue to find ways to win."

Against 'Nova the Pirates will take the same approach and look to complete their fifth sweep of the season.

Tommy Duffy can be reached at thomas.duffy@student.shu.edu.