Senior Column: Confident in my future because of what SHU gave me

I can honestly say that choosing to attend Seton Hall was one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

Now, I realize that may sound overly sentimental, especially considering that I will be graduating in a matter of weeks.

But it really is the truth.

After all, it was here that I not only discovered what I wanted to do with my life, but I was also provided with the education, guidance and opportunities to pursue my dream.

I will always be grateful to the University for that.

Of course, when I first decided I was going to Seton Hall I had no idea of the impact the school would eventually have on me.

I knew it was a great school, one that both my grandfather and mother went to before me, so I was honored to be accepted and eager to see what college had in store for me.

However, at that point I wasn't sure what I wanted to do career-wise.

Journalism certainly never crossed my mind.

Fortunately for me, as a freshman I had the chance to take a class that would set me on the right path.

Writing for the Media is the journalism major's most basic course, one that teaches students how to report and write articles.

But it changed my life, for it was in that class that I discovered a field that I was not only good at, but that I truly enjoyed. I realized what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

From there I joined The Setonian and WSOU (two organizations that I will always remember fondly), where I was able to achieve editorial and managerial positions.

I completed three internships and started freelancing at The Alternative Press.

I got to interview famous entertainers, politicians, students and community leaders.

Most recently, I even won second place for feature writing in the NJPA Awards.

In all, I've accomplished so many things I'm proud of, and it was all because I chose to attend Seton Hall.

So as I prepare to leave this fine University, I'd like to thank all the people who've helped me over the past four years.

Thank you to the faculty and students who've encouraged me and provided me with the opportunities to be successful.

Thank you to the Career Center for preparing me to enter the workforce. And thank you to my parents and family for always providing me with love and support - and for suggesting Seton Hall in the first place.

I couldn't have done it without you.

As for you students who still have a few years left before graduation, I recommend that you never take this school for granted.

Seton Hall has so much to offer as you pursue your life goals.

Try joining a club that peaks your interest, or take a class just to see what it's like.

That's exactly what I did, and as I wait to begin my journey as a professional journalist, I can say that it really paid off.

Sean Quinn is a senior journalism major from Cranford, NJ. He can be reached at sean.quinn@student.shu.edu.