Student organizes March of Dimes charity event

A Seton Hall freshman is hosting a fundraiser for the March of Dimes, an organization to help pregnant women have healthy, full-term pregnancies, at 9 p.m. on Saturday, April 28 at the Liberty Lounge and Grill in Hoboken, N.J.

The event, Fernando Uribe is Saving Babies, is named after Uribe, for his attempts to aid pregnant women.

"I'm trying to give hope to the more than half a million babies born too soon each year," Uribe said. "Too many moms and families know the heartbreak of having a baby born fighting to survive. I want to do my part to change that."

According to Uribe, he has raised money online and he is also accepting donations at the fundraiser.

A date auction is also planned for the evening where participants will be auctioned off with all money going go to March of Dimes.

"I aim to raise $1,000 every year, but I have been successful in raising over $3,000 every year since 2009," Uribe said. "I have been named the Top Individual Walker in Hudson County for both 2010 and 2011."

Uribe also encourages Seton Hall students to attend, saying that the event will have a casual atmosphere and excellent food.

He also said that the students should help the community and make a difference in the world.

"The donations accepted that evening go a long way in helping women during their pregnancies and also trying to remedy the unfortunate circumstances involving premature births," Uribe said.

According to Uribe, the proceeds he collects are used to bring comfort to families with a baby in newborn intensive care.

"All proceeds collected online and on the evening of my event benefit the March of Dimes, which he submits the following morning at their annual walk on Sunday April 29," Uribe said.

He said that he has had some "detractors" in trying to raise money for the March of Dimes because of his use of the date auction as a means of fundraising.

"Being as successful as I am in my philanthropy, I take considerable pride in showing these detractors they are simply misinformed," he said.

For anyone unable to attend the fundraiser, Uribe respectfully requests an online donation.

Uribe said he has walked for the March of Dimes since 2007 and has been hosting a fundraiser every night before the walk itself since 2008.

More information can be found at http//www.marchforbabies.org/furibe.

Kelly Carroll can be reached at Kelly.carroll@student.shu.edu