What to do at SHU: visit Walsh Gallery

This semester students can look forward to uncovering ancient treasures that had been hidden in The Seton Hall collections and viewing contemporary art in The Walsh Gallery.

"The Way, The Truth, The Life" is a liturgical show that The Walsh Gallery has been putting together for the past few years.

Curator Jeanne Brasile, said they have been working on pulling out the artifacts from different departments at the University, such as The Immaculate Conception Seminary and have been working with the Judeo-Christian community on the exhibit. She explained that the pieces have been available for the students to do research on, but have not been together at once.

"There's no point in having collections if you can't show them to people," said Brasile.

The exhibits collection is broken down into different categories, such as Processional, Liturgy of the Word, Liturgy of the Eucharist and Personal Devotion.

Students can expect to see pieces like a Papal Chamberlin uniform, a ceremonial sword and breviaries from 1674.

These pieces and more will be on display September 12 to October 14. The Opening Reception will be held on Thursday, September 15 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The second exhibit is called "Data In, Data Out," uses calculations and data to create art. Brasile described the works to be "the intersection of art and mathematics…it's a multimedia show where the algorithms show design of art."

An example Brasile used was describing a scenario about an artist taking a trip to California. The distance the artist would travel would be the length of the work and each stop the artist makes in his trip would be another point and calculation in the piece.

"The artists can be working on one theme, but everybody's art looks completely different," Brasile said.

The display will be available October 31 to November 16 and the Open Reception will be held Thurday, November 3 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Patrice Kubik can be reached at patrice.kubik@student.shu.edu