Women prepare for road trip to Philadelphia

The women's basketball team looks to rebound after a loss to St. John's as they travel to Philadelphia where they will face the Drexel Dragons on Sunday.

Despite having their lone senior, center Kashmere Joseph, sitting on the bench with a fractured thumb, six new players and an uncertain starting lineup, Seton Hall (5-5, 0-1) has demonstrated they can play, and that they can certainly play on the road.

With two decisive wins, the Pirates have received back-to-back career highs from different players.

First, it was sophomore guard Terry Green as she scored 21-points, shooting four for six from behind the arc, against Delaware State on Dec. 1.

Then, it was junior forward Kandice Green who averaged 18.5 points per game in two wins, including a 31-point, 23-rebound performance in an overtime win against William and Mary on Sunday.

"I just went out there and kind of played," Kandice Green said. "It didn't register to me that I scored a lot. I was just really happy for the win."

Drexel (5-1), returning from their first appearance in the postseason WNIT, were undefeated until Sunday when they suffered a nine-point loss to Virginia.

Still, the Dragons are sitting in second place in the Colonial Conference, one win behind the Delaware Blue Hens.

But Drexel also has some concerns of their own, such as court experience for players, new roles for those players and a powerful presence in the paint.

"It's just really focusing on what we're about and what we need to do," head coach Denise Dillon said. "We continue to talk to them about our team play and how important it is on the defensive end - playing as hard as you can and working together to carry that over to the offensive end."

The Dragons plan to play that relentless defense, especially in the paint where Kandice Green will be posting up.

"We have our work cut out for us," Dillon said. "We talked about how important it is with the posting – our players playing big and playing smart. Our basic instinct is to try to keep her (Kandice Green) off the boards. If she gets shots off around the basket, or her teammates get shots off, she's going to go after the offensive rebound. We just have to commit to really making a presence inside defensively."

On the other end of the court, Drexel will look to its senior guard Jasmina Rosseel for leadership and junior guard Kamille Nacickaite to score points.

In the past two games, Nacickaite has averaged 22 points and 5.5 rebounds, only missing three of her 15 three-point attempts.

"With this game, we know it's going to be a great challenge for us," Dillon said. "The reason why we put teams like Virginia and Seton Hall on our schedule was to prepare us for what we're going to see in our conference with the top teams.

Tip off is set for 2 p.m. on Sunday at John A. Daskalakis Athletic Center in Philadelphia, PA.

Krissy Wrobel can be reached at kristine.wrobel@student.shu.edu.