Red Storm swallows up Pirates in Big East opener

The Seton Hall women's basketball team finished the week losing to No. 20 St. John's Red Storm 71-52 on Wednesday, and defeating William & Mary in overtime 73-67, putting their record to 5-5 overall and 0-1 in conference.

"It really was a good check for us (to see) if we were going to fight it out or fold," Coach Donovan said. "I thought we did a great job in the second half to get it back."

In the Big East opener against #20 St. John's, the Pirates went scoreless for nearly the first four minutes of the game, but eventually took a 5-4 lead with 14:48 left in the half.

The Red Storm then responded with a 22-7 run of their own to take a 16 point lead with six and a half minutes left in the opening half.

Sophomore guard Brittany Morris hit a 3-pointer in transition to make it a nine point game with over 18 minutes left in the game, the closest the Pirates would have the score for the rest of the game.

Green failed to back up her big effort, only producing four points and eight rebounds, six of which were on the offensive end of the court. Green only shot one for 12 from the field during the loss.

The Pirates were led by sophomore forward Terry Green who had 11 points and shot three of six from behind the 3-point line. Junior center Tajay Ashmeade recorded her first career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.

The Red Storm of St. John's were led by sophomore guard Eugeneia McPherson who had 20 points off the bench and hit four threes. Senior forward Centhya Hart had 12 points and Sophomore guard Shanneika Smith had 13 points to go along with 10 rebounds.

"I believe we're doing pretty good," Green said about the season so far. "But we could always do better."

Against the Tribe of William & Mary, junior forward Kandice Green set new career-highs of 31 points and 23 rebounds, the second-highest rebounding total in school history behind only Ozelina Gorham's 25 rebound effort against Scranton in 1979.

Green shot nine of 21 from the field and 13 of 18 from the free-throw line against the Tribe.

"I wasn't feeling pressure," Green said about her performance. "I just went out there and kind of played. It didn't register to me that I scored a lot. I was just really happy for the win."

The Pirates, who were down by as many as 11 points in the second half, came back to tie it up at 63 with 55 seconds remaining in the game. The Hall then went on to outscore the Tribe 10 to four in the overtime period to win the game.

"I was really proud at how hard we battled to get it to overtime," Donovan said. "And then in overtime, we played smart."

Along with Green, freshman guard Ka-Deidre Simmons finished the game with 13 points on five of 11 shooting from the field to go along with six rebounds.

William & Mary were led by junior guard Taysha Pye who had 21 points and five rebounds off the bench.

Freshman center Kaitlyn Mathieu contributed a double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds.

The Pirates (5-5, 0-1) will travel to Philadelphia to play the Drexel Dragons on Sunday before they return back to Walsh Gym to play four straight home games.

Joe Sorensen can be reached at joseph.sorensen@student.shu.edu