Seasonal SOPAC performances

Take a break from the most stressful part of the season and get in the spirit down at SOPAC this weekend as they present twists on holiday classics. Join the New York Theatre Ballet for one of their three performances of "The Nutcracker" on Dec. 3 and Dec. 4 or check out "A Great Big Miracle," a comical retelling of the Hanukkah story.

The New York Theatre Ballet will perform "The Nutcracker" on Friday Dec. 3 at 7 p.m. and on Saturday Dec. 4 at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. The company presents a tailored one-hour performance of the Tschaikovsky classic, specifically designed to suit the entire family.

Audiences that attend the 7 p.m. performance on either Friday or Saturday will be treated to two additional performances, Merce Cunningham's "Septet" as well as Antony Tudor's "Soiree Musicale."

SOPAC's web site describes "A Great Big Miracle" as "a smart, joyful and just a little bit irreverent take on the story of Hanukkah."

The performance includes all the elements of the Hanukkah story, but retold by two sheep. The Ben H. Winters' play is presented by Midtown Direct Rep, SOPAC's in-house theatrical company composed of local Broadway talents. Performances are on Sunday Dec. 5 at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Tickets are available at the SOPAC box office or online at sopacnow.org.

Meghan Dixon can be reached at Meghan.dixon@student.shu.edu.