New York City ice skating

If you're looking for something festive to do this holiday season, consider packing up your ice skates and venturing into New York City with a couple of friends.

New York has a wide array of icy venues sprinkled across the island of Manhattan. For the most traditional New York ice skating experience, take the E train from Penn Station to Fifth Avenue and head over to Rockefeller Center.

The Rockefeller Center Ice Skating Rink is world renowned and one of New York City's most beloved attractions. A spin around the Rockefeller Rink is a holiday must-do for New Yorkers and out-of-towners alike. With the iconic Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree prevailing over the landscape, it's difficult not to catch some holiday cheer while gliding around the rink.

If you're looking to add some greenery to your ice skating experience, hop on the 1 train at Penn Station, transfer to the N at 42nd street- Times Square, ride the N down to Fifth Avenue and make your way to Central Park's Wollman Rink.

The Wollman Rink is surrounded by the perfect blend of Central Park's majestic natural beauty and the awe-inspiring urban immensity of New York City, as acclaimed buildings such as Trump Plaza can be seen peeking out from over the tops of trees. You'll really feel as if you're skating in the heart of New York City at the Wollman Rink, but if you find it's a bit overcrowded, you can always jump ships to the Lasker Rink, also located in Central Park between 106th and 108th streets, and enjoy the same ambiance.

Finally, the new rink at Bryant Park has glided its way into the hearts of New Yorkers. Located between 40th and 42nd Streets and Fifth and Sixth Avenues, Bryant Park is easily accessible from Penn Station by taking the 1 train to 42nd Street- Times Square. Bryant Park's Rink is intimately tucked between soaring New York buildings. There is nothing standing between you and the metropolitan New York scenery at Bryant Park, so you can't help but feel as if you're in the thick of the city as you skate around Bryant Park's Rink.

Whether you light candles on a Hanukkah Menorah, sing carols around a Christmas tree or drink from the Kwanzaa Unity Cup, ice skating in New York City is the perfect addition to your holiday traditions.

Emily Lake can be reached at emily.lake@student.shu.edu.