Christmas spirit 'snows' on University

Seton Hall is introducing a new Christmas tradition this year, proposed by interim President Gabriel Esteban - the first annual Christmas tree lighting.

The lighting will take place on the Green on Dec. 2 at 6 p.m. following a mass and Crèche blessing at the chapel.

"Of course the tree has been decorated and lit every year as far as I can recall but there was no ceremony around it," Msgr. Anthony Ziccardi, vice president for Mission and Ministry, said. "Someone simply threw the switch on, usually the second Sunday of Advent."

According to Msgr. Ziccardi, various musical groups from campus will lead those who attend in singing Christmas carols such as the Pep Band, Vocal Chamber Group, Seminary Choir and Gospel Choir.

The tree lighting ceremony also "kicks off" the Christmas at the Hall week, which takes place from Dec. 2 – 10, according to the "Christmas at the Hall" program, provided by Michelle Peterson, director of DOVE.

Another "Christmas at the Hall" event will be ice skating on Dec. 5 at 3 p.m.

There will be a rink set up on the Green and everything including skate rental will be completely free according to Peterson.

"In addition to ice skating, there will be artificial snow, Christmas music, hot chocolate, soft pretzels and an opportunity for students to make their own build-a-bears," Kyle Warren, assistant dean of Student Activities, said.

According to Warren, there is excitement surrounding "Christmas at the Hall."

"This is an event we never had on campus, and we are very excited to introduce new programs that students will find interesting and fun," Warren said. "This idea was brought up and supported by a number of offices including the ‘Christmas at the Hall' planning committee, the Student Activities Board and the Community Development team."

Warren also explained that for safety, the rink will have a perimeter barrier, which will help to keep beginner skaters on the ice. Beginner skaters are also encouraged to skate with a more experienced partner.

DOVE will also be holding its Annual Toy Drive from Nov. 21 until Dec. 8.

"All toys collected will benefit children (ages newborn to 16) of the Genoa Christian Center in West Virginia as well as needy families at St. John's Soup Kitchen in Newark," Peterson said.

Peterson also explained that all students, offices and faculty members are invited to participate.

Toy tags will be available on the Giving Tree located at the main entrance in the DOVE office, room 108 in Boland Hall. Unwrapped toys must be dropped off in the same location no later than Dec. 8.

"If students are interested in tasting some Christmas favorites, Seton Hall's Gourmet Dining Services will be celebrating the 12 Days of Christmas with different treats throughout December in the Galleon Dining Room," Peterson said.

The "Christmas at the Hall" flyer describes many other holiday activities such as several different masses and prayer services, decorating holiday cards and writing letters to soldiers. Concerts and a holiday movie night will be provided for students to help them get in the Christmas spirit.

Some bigger events are the Winter Ball being held on Dec. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Main Lounge and a trip to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular in New York City on Dec. 10 at 5 p.m. Seton Hall is introducing a new Christmas tradition this year, proposed by interim President Gabriel Esteban - the first annual Christmas tree lighting.

The "Christmas at the Hall" flyer describes many other holiday activities such as several different masses and prayer services, decorating holiday cards and writing letters to soldiers.

Concerts and a holiday movie night will be provided for students to help them get in the Christmas spirit.

Some bigger events are the Winter Ball being held on Dec. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Main Lounge and a trip to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular in New York City on Dec. 10 at 5 p.m.

All of the events have been advertised and e-mailed to students in a "Christmas at the Hall" flyer.

Kimberly Bolognini can be reached at kimberly.bolognini@student.shu.edu.

"