Arrest made in fatal shooting

Two suspects have been identified, and one has been arrested in connection with the shooting incident that occurred at an off-campus house party early Saturday morning, Robert D. Laurino, acting Essex County Prosecutor announced at a press conference held at the East Orange Police Department.

Nicholas Welch, 25, of East Orange, was arrested at 9:05 p.m. Welch was the alleged gunman and is being charged with murder, Laurino said. Welch's bail has been set at $2 million.

Marcus Bascus, 19, of East Orange, has been identitifed as the alleged accomplice and is still at large, according to Laurino. He is being charged with murder, conspiracy, and multiple weapons charges.

Welch lived on 531 S. Clinton St., just houses away from the site of the shooting, according to Laurino.

Laurino stated multiple times that forensic evidence was "crucial" in the investigation, as was "good old-fashioned police work."

"I'd like to thank task force members," Laurino said. "As a result of their tireless efforts, we were able to solve this crime in less than 72 hours."

Both Welch and Bascus have criminal history regarding narcotics, according to Laurino.

Laurino said additional charges will be brought to both suspects.

Neither Welch nor Bascus have any connection to the University.

Nicholas Parco can be reached at nicholas.parco@student.shu.edu.

Jessica Sutcliffe can be reached at jessica.sutcliffe@student.shu.