Take a 'dip' downtown: gourmet dorm dining on a budget

Tired of having waffles for both breakfast and dinner?

Let's face it; the dining hall isn't ideal for every meal, every day. Thankfully, there are other options. A quick walk to town will cure your food cravings.

If you head downtown on Wednesdays, you can take advantage of the Farmer's Market, located right next to Stony's Restaurant. If not, hit up Cait and Abby's Bakery for fresh bread and baked goodies, then Eden Gourmet (which has student discounts) for all your fresh food needs.

In my dorm, whenever we come back from town, my suitemates and I prepare a "dorm picnic." Always equipped with fresh bread, our picnics usually have two easy to make recipes: a simple brushetta and a cheese dip.

Brushetta ingredients:

Two tomatoes, olive oil, a lemon, fresh basil leaves, salt and pepper to taste.

For the Brushetta, dice up the tomatoes and tear the basil leaves into small pieces. Drizzle it with olive oil and squeeze half of a lemon, and stir it up. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper and serve!

Cheese dip ingredients:

Two to three handfuls of shredded mild cheddar cheese, fresh basil leaves, a tomato, and pepper to taste.

To prepare the cheese dip, place all the cheese, torn basil leaves, and tomato chunks in a microwaveable bowl, then microwave for about 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir. Take it out of the microwave and add as much pepper on top, as you like.

We usually end our evenings with a cake from Eden Gourmet, but these dips will definitely keep you satisfied until the next necessary trip to the dining hall.

Mary Kate Martin can be reached at marycatherine.martin@student.shu.edu.