Freshman takes title in first Tournament

The women's tennis team competed in the Quinnipiac Tournament this past weekend, winning the singles "A" bracket and finishing runner up in the sing "C" bracket along with doubles "B" bracket.

Freshman Pui Wing Sher won the singles "A" bracket after Fairfield's Monica Yajima, defaulted, giving Sher the automatic tournament win. Sher advanced to the finals by defeating Quinnipiac's Adrienne Markison 6-1, 2-6, 10-5.

Sher said that at the collegiate level, doubles play is very important. "I would like to improve on my consistency and my doubles game," she said. "That it is usually the determining factor in winning."

In the "C" bracket sophomore Karina Cordero advanced to the finals before being defeated by Connecticut's Abby McKeon 6-2, 6-0.

To advance to the finals Cordero defeated Taylor Holt from Fordham, 6-1, 6-3.

In doubles play in the "B" bracket, senior Belfin Sunbul and Cordero advanced to the finals before being defeated by Connecticut's Lucy Nutting and Lauren Wwilmarth 8-3.

The all-freshmen team of Rocio Portela and Sher, advanced to the semi-finals of the "A" bracket before being knocked off by Fairfield's Carolina Koladzyn and Monica Yajima, 8-4.

They beat Nikki Jackson and Victoria Pirrello of Rhode Island. The pair was also able to top UConn's Sarah Griffin and Emily Searle.

The team next plays in the East Coast Invitational from Sept. 24 through Sept. 26 in West Point, NY.

Emily Governale can be reached at emily.governale@student.shu.edu.